Graduate Academic Honors and Awards:
- Marvin H. Quickert Award for the most outstanding thesis from those submitted by candidates seeking membership in the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS), 30th Annual ASOPRS Meeting, Orlando, Florida, 1999.
- Hornaday Fellow Award for excellence in clinical care, resident education, ethics and research, Duke University Eye Center, Durham, North Carolina, 1989-1999.
- Selected to participate in the Howard Hughes Medical Institute-National Institutes of Health (HHMI-NIH) Research Scholars Program, Bethesda, Maryland, 1988-1990.
- Chosen by a panel of NIH scientists to receive a $49,800.00 merit scholarship from HHMI for demonstrating "Outstanding potential as a future leader in academic medicine".
- Recipient of a young investigators award, valued at ¥75,000, from the Secretariat of the 5th International Symposium on the Immunology and Immunopathology of the Eye (IIPE), Tokyo, Japan, March 14, 1990.
Undergraduate Academic Honors and Awards:
- Phi Beta Kappa (National Honor Society)
- Phi Kappa Phi (Senior Scholastic Honor Society)
- Academic Excellence Award
- Student Leadership and Service Award
- Recipient of an L.R. Ingersoll Award (for excellence in Physics)
- Elected Secretary-Treasurer of the Chancellor's Honor Society of the Mace
- Elected member of Iron Cross, the Senior Men's Honor Society
- Golden Key (National Honor Society)
- Phi Eta Sigma (Freshman Honor Society)