LASIK Eye Surgery
We know how overwhelming it can be to not only research LASIK eye surgery in Minneapolis but to select a qualified surgeon that you feel comfortable and confident with. Like any surgery, the experience of the doctor is the most important factor in achieving the best results. Do your homework, and confidently select a qualified surgeon you trust.
The ophthalmologists at Minnesota Eye Consultants would be honored to help you meet your goal of improved vision. We are widely regarded as the premier eye surgery specialists in Minneapolis and the greater Minnesota area. Our physicians are international experts in their fields with a comprehensive understanding of the whole health and function of the eye – cornea, glaucoma, cataract, dry eye and oculoplastics.
We offer the most advanced solution available: Intralase, a fully customized, blade-free procedure that utilizes an excimer laser. Undergoing surgery frees you from the dependence of eyeglasses and contact lenses.
iLASIK is a revolution in laser eye surgery. It represents the pinnacle of blade-free, fully customized laser vision correction, and is the premium solution available in the world today.
- 100% blade-free – combines all the latest all-laser technology.
- 100% customized – tailored to the unique characteristics of your eyes.
- Incredibly safe – one of the safest medical procedures in the world.
- Highly effective – the majority of patients experience 20/20 vision or better.
- Fast & virtually painless – it only takes a few seconds to correct each eye.
- Suitable for almost everyone – more people treated than ever before.
How Does it Work?
Creating your personalized vision profile: The first step in the procedure is to perform a wavefront diagnosis using the WaveScan WaveFront System. Your eye is unique—as personal as your fingerprint or your DNA. The WaveScan WaveFront system creates a 3-D map that provides detailed information on your vision correction requirements to develop a personalized laser vision correction plan.
Making the flap: The procedure EXCLUSIVELY uses a process called the IntraLase method to create a personalized thin flap that is folded back in preparation to gently reshape the cornea. Studies have shown that flaps created with the IntraLase method have fewer complications and greater stability than flaps created with a blade.1-3 Eighty-one percent of patients choose bladeless surgery over traditional surgery with a blade when given the choice.
Delivering personalized vision correction: Once the flap has been made, a second, ultra-precise “cool” laser is used to gently reshape the cornea to the desired curvature, based on the digital information from your personalized WaveScan WaveFront map. With your laser vision correction made, your doctor will reposition the flap, and your procedure is complete. Many people sit up and immediately notice dramatically improved better vision.
The IntraLase® Method for a Bladeless Experience
We know the decision to undergo surgery is a big one, so we take great care to determine what’s best for you as our patient. That’s why we offer blade-free treatment using the IntraLase method. With the IntraLase method, pulses of laser light create your corneal flap, which is then lifted so the next step, the reshaping of your cornea, can be performed. When your treatment is over, the flap is securely repositioned into place. This bladeless, computer-guided technology is more accurate than most of the mechanical microkeratomes (hand-held devices with a thin metal blade) that surgeons may also use to create a corneal flap.
IntraLase® Assurance and Comfort
The IntraLase method has been used successfully on hundreds of thousands of eyes and we trust this advanced technology to deliver exceptional results. Our commitment is to provide you with the ultimate in comfort, safety, and outstanding vision. IntraLase can help you achieve all of this—while it delivers the added assurance of knowing you’re being treated with the most advanced technology there is.
IntraLase® Preferred by Patients.
In a survey of clinical practices, the vision in the IntraLase-treated eye was preferred up to 3 to 1 by patients over the vision in the mechanical blade–treated eye (among those who stated a preference). Performed with IntraLase, this procedure delivers superior visual results. In a clinical study comparing the IntraLase laser to the leading microkeratome, more patients achieved 20/20 vision or better in standard and custom surgery when the IntraLase method was used to create the corneal flap.
How the IntraLase® Method Works
Unlike mechanical instruments, IntraLase technology is uniquely able to program the dimensions of your flap based on what’s best for your eye. Then the IntraLase laser creates your flap from below the surface of the cornea—without ever cutting it. How?
- Ultra-fast pulses of laser light position microscopic bubbles at a precise depth determined by your doctor.
- The laser light passes harmlessly through your cornea. Then the laser creates rows of these bubbles just beneath your corneal surface as it moves back and forth across your eye in a uniform plane.
- Next, the IntraLase laser stacks bubble around your corneal diameter to create the edges of your flap. These bubbles are stacked at an angle that is determined by your doctor and is individualized to the way your eye is shaped.
- The process takes only about 30 seconds from start to finish— it’s quiet and it’s comfortable.
- Your doctor then gently lifts the flap to allow for the second step of your treatment. When treatment is complete, the flap easily “locks” back into position and rapidly begins to heal.
Because of the superior accuracy of the IntraLase method, certain patients who were ineligible for the procedure may now be able to have treatment. Ask your doctor today if you are a candidate.
To see the new science, click here.
Our Minnesota LASIK Surgeons
Richard L. Lindstrom, M.D.
Thomas W. Samuelson, M.D.
David R. Hardten, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Elizabeth A. Davis, M.D., F.A.C.S.