A new groundbreaking treatment known as Thermal Pulsation (LipiFlow®) is now available at Minnesota Eye Consultants. LipiFlow® is used to treat Evaporative Dry Eye.
At least 65% of dry eye patients have Evaporative Dry Eye. This occurs when the water (or aqueous) in tears evaporates at a faster rate than normal, due to an insufficient lipid (oil) layer on the surface of the tear film. It’s a result of blockage in the oil-producing meibomian glands located within the eyelids (referred to as Meibomian Gland Dysfunction).
Evaporative Dry Eye may be indicated by one or more of the following dry eye symptoms:
- discomfort and irritation
- grittiness or feeling of a foreign body in the eye
- burning or stinging sensation
- vision disturbance
- sensitivity to light
These symptoms may be accompanied by:
- difficulty performing visual tasks, such as reading, using a computer, driving and watching television
- inability to wear contact lenses
- constant use of eye drops
- trouble being out in the sun
- symptoms that worsen late in the day
The LipiFlow® treatment is an in-office therapy using a device that comfortably heats and massages the eyelids to remove the obstruction of the oil producing glands. This technology allows for a more focused treatment than traditional dry eye therapy. The LipiFlow device is applied to the inner lid, whereas common at-home strategies like regular lid hygiene and warm compresses may only provide surface relief. This treatment can unblock glands and, in most cases, provide symptom relief.