October is Halloween Eye Safety Month!
Halloween Hazard: Never Buy Decorative Contact Lenses Without a Prescription
Did you know? Colored contact lenses are popular year-round for people who want to change the color of their iris. But every year at Halloween there is a surge of people using colored contact lenses to enhance their costumes. However, few know the risks associated with these lenses.
Even if you have perfect vision, you need to get an eye exam and a prescription from an eye care professional before you wear any kind of contact lens. A prescription ensures that the lens is a proper fit for your eye, among other things. If the lens doesn’t fit properly, it could prove difficult to remove and cause serious injury.
Safely wear costume contact lenses for Halloween with these six tips from the American Academy of Ophthalmology:
- Get an eye exam from your eye doctor— who will measure each eye and talk to you about proper contact lens care.
- Obtain a valid prescription that includes the brand name, lens measurements and expiration date.
- Purchase the colored contact lenses from a retailer who asks for a prescription.
- Follow the contact lens care directions for cleaning, disinfecting, and wearing the lenses.
- Never share contact lenses with another person.
- Get follow-up exams as directed with your family eye care provider.
For an urgent, but not life-threatening eye injury or infection, Minnesota Eye Consultants can help. We are pleased to offer Urgent Clinic services for patients seeking medically necessary emergent eye care. Typical symptoms treated include corneal abrasions, lid lacerations, post-surgical concerns, foreign body injuries, severe eye pain, red/irritated eye – and more. To schedule, simply call us at 952-567-6100.